Wolvercote Young People’s Club (WYPC) exists to promote the mental, physical and emotional well-being of young people in Wolvercote and Cutteslowe by providing a safe place where they can grow, learn and flourish under the guidance of qualified youth workers and trained volunteers, such that they make a positive contribution to the local community and wider society.
Wolvercote Young People’s Club is rich in heritage. Founded in 1939 as a Boys’ Club, it was run for many years by a voluntary committee mainly consisting of enthusiastic parents and some prominent members of the local community. The committee secured grants to build new premises, purchase sports equipment and utilities and as the Club began to thrive it employed a professional youth worker. In the 1970s girls joined the Club, doubling it in size and continuing to grow in the 1980s.
In 2006, Oxfordshire County Council (OCC) took on full responsibility for both the building and the youth workers. The voluntary committee supported this work becoming the WYPC Charitable Trust through fundraising, running a minibus and setting up a Junior Club. On 31 August 2011, OCC withdrew all its funding and the WYPC Charitable Trust took over providing youth work and running the building. In January 2013 WYPC became a registered charity.
Today we have six members of staff including a Senior Lead Youth Worker, plus nine Committee Members. Working with young people is extremely rewarding so if you are interested in volunteering at our Club please do contact us and Get Involved
Meet the team
Meet the team